Hold on to your pants. It would be remiss of me not to warn you that this recipe might very well be the most stupendous thing you ever make (or get someone else to make) in your whole entire life.
Banana bread is one of those recipes that is super easy to make and easy to adapt to include all manner of wonderful ingredients. Following on from a wondrous elderberry banana bread I made a few months back, I wanted to make yet another wild food infused bread, so this time I opted for sea buckthorn.
I’ve heard that the ol’ seabuck goes supremely well with chocolate (hell, what doesn’t go well with chocolate?) so I added that in together with some lovely wildly spiced blend from Forage Fine Foods. This lovely blend includes hogweed, cinnamon, mace, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, all spice and orange zest.
Without further a do, here’s the recipe. I defy you not to LOVE this bread.
Ingredients – try to use organic where possible!
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas (well ripe, innit?)
- 1.5 cup spelt flour (you can use your favourite flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- pinch vanilla
- pinch salt
- 120g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon wild spice blend (optional)
- 1 heaped tbsp plain yoghurt (optional but this does make it nice and moist)
- 1/2 cup of sea buckthorn berries
- 1/2 cup of choc chips or chopped choc (I chop up a Green & Blacks Dark Choc bar in to small chunks)
- 1 handful chia seeds (optional)
- 1 handful deshelled hemp seeds (optional)
I always try to add in superfoods for extra nutrition, hence the chia and hemp – these both work exceptionally well in banana bread. Alternatively you could use gojis or elderberries (these cook in the bread) or anything else you fancy
Blend all ingredients in Part A in a blender. Pour in to a bowl and mix in Part B. Pour mixture in to a buttered small loaf tin and bake at 180 for at least 40 minutes and continue to check with a skewer until it comes clean. Sometimes it can take a bit longer depending on your oven. Mine is a gas oven and can take up to 2 hours but then my oven is a total GIT.
Voila! One super healthy, nutritious and wild banana bread!